22.6 C
New York
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
spot_imgspot_img

Hantavirus-stricken cruise ship arrives in the Netherlands

The cruise ship hit by a deadly hantavirus outbreak has begun entering the Dutch port of Rotterdam for disinfection, wrapping up a troubled journey that put international health authorities on alert.

The MV Hondius has spent the past six days sailing from the Canary Islands, where the remaining passengers were escorted off the vessel by personnel in full-body protective gear and boarded flights to more than 20 countries to enter quarantine.

The outbreak on the ship has reached 11 cases, nine of which have been confirmed. Three passengers have died, including a Dutch couple who health officials believe were the first exposed to the virus while visiting South America.

The Public Health Agency of Canada said one of the four Canadians in isolation after leaving the ship had tested positive Sunday and it would share information on the case with the World Health Organization.

The vessel has made the journey from Tenerife up the coast of Africa and Europe with 25 crew members and two medical personnel.

According to the ship operator Oceanwide Expeditions, no one on board is experiencing any symptoms.

WATCH | Lab confirms hantavirus in Canadian cruise passenger :

Lab confirms hantavirus in Canadian cruise passenger

A lab has confirmed one Canadian who travelled on a cruise ship at the centre of an outbreak has tested positive for hantavirus, but health officials are confident they’ve taken the necessary precautions to prevent further spread.

Crew members who are unable to return home will be quarantined in the Netherlands, the Dutch health ministry said last week. Some two dozen passengers and crew are already in quarantine in the Netherlands, after arriving in the country on a series of  flights over the previous two weeks.

Eighteen Americans are currently under observation at specialized healthcare facilities in the United States designed to treat people with dangerous infectious diseases.

After everyone on board has disembarked, the ship will be decontaminated based on Dutch public health guidelines. “Personal protective measures are being taken to ensure that the cleaners do not need to quarantine after the cleaning,” the health ministry said in a letter to the Dutch parliament last week.

Public health officials will inspect the vessel before it is allowed to sail again. The hantavirus outbreak aboard the MV Hondius is the first known case on a cruise ship.

The Dutch company that owns the cruise ship said it doesn’t foresee any changes to its operations. It has an Arctic cruise setting sail from Keflavik, Iceland, on May 29.

France’s Pasteur Institute said on Saturday it has fully sequenced the Andes virus detected in a French passenger from the MV Hondius cruise ship and found that it matched viruses already known in South America, with no evidence so far of new characteristics that would make it more transmissible or more dangerous.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

9,002FansLike
77FollowersFollow
44SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest Articles