Proceedings in the case involving UK-based Nigerian blogger, Maureen Badejo in a Lagos court, took a dramatic turn this week as prosecutors and defence counsel clashed over whether proper service had been effected.

Representing the Federal Criminal Investigation Department (FCID), Mr. Morufu Ajani Animashaun informed the court that initial attempts to serve Badejo were hindered by controversies at the Kirikiri Correctional Centre.
The blogger’s arrest followed petitions filed by two prominent clerics, Apostle Johnson Suleiman, General Overseer of Omega Fire Ministries, and Dr. Daniel Olukoya, General Overseer of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries (MFM).

Badejo had previously been granted bail by a Magistrate Court, with instructions to report back on March 25.
During the latest hearing, the Investigating Police Officer (IPO) claimed that service had already been effected on Badejo’s counsel.
Defence lawyers immediately challenged the assertion, insisting no such service had been received.
To resolve the dispute, the court granted leave for the prosecution to serve Badejo directly in open court.
Upon receiving the documents, the defendant requested additional time to prepare for arraignment.
The court subsequently adjourned the matter to March 4, 2026, at 12 p.m., when Badejo is expected to take her plea and any bail applications will be considered.
The Take It Back legal team, led by Bolaji Oluwatosin, was present to observe the proceedings.
The matter now stands adjourned.
SaharaReporters previously reported that Badejo regained her freedom from police custody on Tuesday after meeting her bail conditions.
Badejo was arrested by operatives of the Nigeria Police Force following petitions filed against her. Sources told SaharaReporters that she was apprehended in Lagos on February 6 by detectives attached to the Criminal Investigation Department.
A Lagos State Magistrate’s Court subsequently granted her bail in the sum of ₦10 million, with one surety acceptable to the court, pending further proceedings.
Her legal team, led by Yinka Owoeye and comprising four other lawyers, represented her in the matter.
However, her arraignment was marked by controversy.
Sources alleged that police misinformed her legal team about the venue of the court proceedings. While her lawyers were reportedly directed to the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Badejo was instead taken to the Igbosere Magistrate’s Court, leaving members of her defence team at the wrong location.
Despite the confusion, the court proceeded with the arraignment and granted bail on the stated terms.
Prior to her release, Badejo had been interrogated at the police Cybercrime Unit in Adekunle, Yaba. Although the specific charges against her have not been publicly disclosed, sources indicated that the case is linked to her online publications and social media activities.
The dispute also has an international dimension. In March 2022, the UK High Court of Justice, through its Queen’s Bench Division, ordered Apostle Johnson Suleiman to pay Badejo £19,601 in sanctions related to a defamation suit he had filed against her.
Badejo reportedly declined a subsequent offer to settle the judgment through monthly installments of £500, while supporters in the diaspora are said to have contributed toward her legal defence.




